HELB loan repayment is available to students in various methods. Categorically speaking, there are two categories of repayment methods, local and diaspora.
Before we go into how to pay your HELB loan repayment and check your status, let us consider some important information.
Firstly, Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) offers undergraduate loans to students. Repayment of undergraduate loans then starts within one year of completion of studies or within such a period as the Board decides to recall the loan whichever is earlier. However, you can make voluntary payments before or after you complete your studies to reduce your loan balance.
Secondly, after completing your loan repayment, kindly seek clearance from HELB. Please note that only HELB and not your employer can confirm your loan repayment status. HELB confirms loan repayment completion by issuing a certificate of clearance. For clearance, please fill in the Loan Recovery Enquiry form.
If you overpay your loan, HELB and not your employer will issue a refund. However, to claim the refund, you should fill in the Loan Recovery Enquiry form.
Finally, Jielimishe Loans are due for repayment immediately upon disbursement. Successful applicants shall be notified via e-mail. Use the Loan Recovery Enquiry form to send inquiries on alternative loans.
How to repay HELB Loan
HELB offers repayment methods in two categories: local and diaspora.
Category 1: Local
HELB allows their loanees to pay locally through mpesa, Credit Card or Debit (ATM) Card or bank deposit.
Using M-PESA (Safaricom) Money Transfer:
- Select pay bill option
- Enter HELB business number as 200800
- Enter your national ID number as your account number
- Enter amount you want to pay
- Enter your secret PIN number
- Confirm transaction and send
Note: The transaction reflects in your statement immediately after the transaction.
Using M-PESA (Safaricom) Money Transfer for Employers
- Upload the remittance schedule
- Generate the E-Slip
- Go to the M-PESA menu and click on Lipa na M-PESA, then Paybill
- Enter 200800 as the business number
- For the account details, enter the generated E-Slip number as the account number
- Enter your PIN number
- You will receive a confirmation message for payment
Note: The transaction will reflect in the employer statement and posted to individual loanee statements.
Credit Card or Debit (atm) Card Payments
For credit card or debit (ATM) card payments, give authority to HELB to make monthly debits or lump-sum payments directly from your bank account or credit card by signing the CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION FORM (CCA) and forwarding the same to HELB.
All payments are payable to Higher Education Loans Board, by crossed cheque, bankers draft, direct transfer/standing order/EFT or cash deposit to HELB collection A/C in any of their bank accounts.
Category 2: Diaspora
Diaspora repayment methods include wave, World Remit and online payment via HELB repayment portal. Below is the information associated with making payments through these methods
You can make payments instantly from abroad, whether US and Canada through Wave via KCB Account Number 1103266314, here is the process:-
Go to www.sendwave.com to update/download the app and then make transfers immediately,
Forward the wave email notification as well as your ID NUMBER to OnlinePayments@helb.co.ke.
Here are the steps to follow to pay HELB using World Remit from the diaspora:
- Log in to www.worldremit.com
- Select the ‘Bank Deposit’ service from the blue ‘Send to’ box on this page
- Choose whether to make the transfer to a Kenyan shilling (KES) or US dollar (USD) account
- Enter the amount you want to transfer
- We’ll show you the highly competitive exchange rate you’ll receive and any fees upfront
- Enter recipient’s details KCB ACCOUNT NUMBER 1103266314
- Pay online using a credit or debit card
- Use your ID number as the reference
- You and your recipient will receive SMS and email notification once the transfer is complete
- Forward the email notification to OnlinePayments@helb.co.ke
Online Payment via HELB Payment Portal
HELB also has a payment portal through which they receive payments from their loanees. You can now pay your HELB loan online, Here is how:-
- Register an account with HELB online portal, if you already have an account, please log in.
- Once logged in, click on Online Services > Online Payment menu.
- Enter your National ID number as your account number
- Enter the amount you are paying and click Pay Now
- A payment acknowledgement will be issued once the payment is successful
- HELB will issue an official receipt for the payment